[tor-relays] Ops request: Deploy OpenVPN terminators

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Jun 17 03:29:03 UTC 2014

On 6/16/14, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:

>> If an operator does not want you on their site, do not circumvent it.
>> You are thus stating: I want to circumvent a site's decision to block me.
>
> No, you are still not understanding a (not so delicate, yet very
> important) distinction...
>
> - IP blocking is NOT blocking a particular single user context (ie:
> 'you', 'me', joe, jane, anonuser1543), it is blocking whoever happens
> to be using that IP [1].
>
> In my opinion, that is wrong because it takes out innocent users
> and thus I'm happy to suggest any number of ways to push back against
> it until this effectively 'anti-innocent' model changes.

This is foundational I say - some of us are willing to give up a
little (or a lot) of convenience, for the long term benefits/ freedoms
which we anticipate and strive for.

Today we have an abundance of libre/free software. When Richard
Stallman, and later others, sacrificed their time and their statutory
proprietary-ownership possibilities, for the long term vision, they
did not have the abundance that has since been created - their
sacrifice was MUCH greater than ours today.

Yet the spirit of sacrifice/inconvenience for the longer term greater
good, lives strongly in some of us.

I wholeheartedly support those who live this principle.

Rock on!
Zenaan