[tor-relays] Debian relay Puppet module

Alexander Fortin alexander.fortin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 20:26:56 UTC 2014

On 15. Juni 2014 at 15:56:29, Philipp Borgers (borgers at mi.fu-berlin.de) wrote:
> Did you take a look at the existing projects?
>
> https://github.com/search?q=tor+puppet
>
> Maybe you should merge your project with one of the existing ones?

Yeah, but it’s usually easier said then done. I had a look on the forge to see if there was something suitable, but couldn’t find.
As for GitHub, there are 3 pages of them. I can spend some time to go through them and see if there’s one fitting my use case, then get in touch with the developer and see if it’s interested in collaboration, but usually it’s much much faster for me to write my own, test it locally, and ship it to my puppet master.

As I already said, this was meant to be an easy way for me to start with Tor on a server I had, I didn’t think about making it suitable for public usage at that time. Anyway, I’ll try to follow the advise and see if there’s some other module I could merge into, but it will take some time.

> Some things I would do/change:
>
> * add a license ohterwise we can't contribute

True that. I’ll go for the same Tor is using, I guess GPL

> * colorize the examples in the readme (```puppet)

Right

> * add a modulefile so people can use librarian-puppet etc.

Right. Also, puppetlabs/apt module is actually already a dependency (only if you set a certain parameter when declaring the class though)

> * add tests

Also can be done. I’m still not 100% convinced by the whole TDD idea for Puppet manifests, but I understand it will make it easier to adopt, so no big deal to add them.

@all, thanks for your feedback, very appreciated.

--
Alexander Fortin
http://about.me/alexanderfortin