[tor-relays] Debian relay Puppet module

Alexander Fortin alexander.fortin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 13:18:24 UTC 2014

On 15. Juni 2014 at 14:41:24, Nusenu (bm-2d8wmevggvy76je1wxnpfo8srpzt5yghes at bitmessage.ch) wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> thanks for starting this.
>
> bigger relay operators running multiple servers with many nodes will
> probably like this (just saying 'MyFamily' updates ;)

Sorry, still quite new here, the MyFamily concept has yet to come in my knowledge base :)

> Which brings me to my first question:
>
> Does the module support running multiple tor instances on a single
> server?

No. Or better, not yet.

> This is something that probably every major relay operator is doing to
> cope with tor's inability to scale well across multiple cpu cores.

I started this mainly as a personal project, just because I wanted to deploy a Tor relay on a already “puppetized” VPS I have, then I got some feedback on #tor about how I was doing it wrong, so I thought it was a good idea to spend a little more time to make it available for a general use.

I’ll try now to understand what’s involved in having multiple instances running on the same node, but I guess there’s the need for a radical different approach (i.e. not following https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu as I did for building the module in the first place)

--
Alexander Fortin
http://about.me/alexanderfortin