[tor-relays] Exit policies pointing to IP blocks not appearing on Globe

Jon Gardner jon at brazoslink.net
Tue Jun 10 15:11:22 UTC 2014

On Jun 9, 2014, at 11:26 AM, Mendelson Gusmão <mendelsongusmao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi! I just setup a tor relay, encouraged by EFF's Tor Challenge. All I have is a domestic connection. I've read my TOS and my ISP seems to be very friendly to this case. Although I have a little suspicion about traffic shaping, my exit node seems to be running very well!
>
> I'm worried about one thing, though. I remember that a while ago, when I tried to access Facebook using a tor client, I saw a message telling that I was blocked for using the network. To avoid the other users of my network to be blocked due to the traffic in my exit node, I managed to add exit policies rejecting every IP block that belongs to Facebook. However, these exit policies don't appear in neither globe.torproject.com nor any site that provides information about nodes.
>
> Are these addresses being scrubbed? How do I make sure that these policies being applied?
>
> Thanks!

Anything that shares an IP with a Tor relay will be blocked from many common services, like Facebook, Skype, Hulu, etc.

This may or may not be possible, depending on your arrangement with your ISP, but if you're running an exit relay, it would be optimal to run it on its own public IP, so all of the exit traffic is completely separated from any other traffic on the host (or your NATted public IP). You can use the OutboundBindAddress tag in torrc to force Tor to use the alternate IP.

Jon