[tor-relays] Fwd: Running relays at consortia networks [was: JANET/edu]

Zack Weinberg zackw at cmu.edu
Tue Jun 10 01:28:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 8:09 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> C, there is also a tor-relays-universities list.
> Forwarding there to keep the initial chat primed.
>
> Once you have buy in from legal, chairs, security, upstream,
> etc this can be a very strong position, often better than pay 'contract'
> of random ISP host. I have seen such 'outside' nets used for these
> not strictly mission things, such I suggest it in this thread. Different
> approach depends on if you can find and house a legitimate paper
> producing research purpose, or if you simply will run it for
> supporting freedom point of view.

Our experience is similar; after an initial period of discomfort (both
I and my supervisor had "yes, the IDS will continue to get false
positives on this host, it is not actually infected with a virus /
ridiculously out of date on security patches / running Windows XP"
form letters on tap for a while), the university has been very
supportive.

We *were* asked to make sure that the exit policy denied access to
library resources that the university has a contractual obligation to
make available only to affiliates, but they gave us a list of IPs to
blacklist, so that was no problem.  You might want to mention up front
that you can do that if they need you to.

zw