[tor-relays] German company Webtropia: Terminated contract without notice because of abuse

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Wed Jul 30 13:51:05 UTC 2014

On 7/30/2014 10:34 AM, uf at riseup.net wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been running two exit relays, [1] and [2], at the German
> company Webtropia [3] for the past two weeks. Things went quite
> nice and smoothly, the speed of the server was decent and the
> network great, pushing quite some terabyte.
>
> Before renting the server, I told them what I wanted to do, if the
> would forward abuse etc. They said there were fine with this and
> forwarding would be no problem, given that I would deal with such
> mails in a timely manner. So I decided to rent the server, maybe
> naive?
>
> Yesterday (29th) they stopped routing/switching traffic to the
> server, so it wasn't accessible anymore. They sent me a mail, the
> subject read "termination without notice", claiming they did this
> because I didn't pay the invoice. I replied that I doubt this and
> sent them the transaction details. Their reply claimed that my
> contract wasn't quited because of this, but instead of abuse: They
> wrote that they got "52 mails" the day before (28th) dealing with
> phishing mails, bittorent downloads, ddos, etc. I told them once
> again that this server is housing tor exit nodes, and I'm not
> responsible for the traffic. However, I asked if we could find an
> agreement and "meet in the middle": Closing some ports (25 for
> example) and forward the mails to me, so I would take care of these
> and they could lie back and think "not our department" (actually as
> spoken about beforehand). Sadly there wasn't any negotiation
> possible, the denied me (up until now at least) even a refund of
> the money I already paid (is this legal?).
>
> Just to inform you about this. Stay away of them - they don't keep
> their words.
>
> Cheers, uf
>

> [1]
> https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/94CB5C820BF97391BFDCAF8DD1B3176A452E8FB2
>
>  [2]
> https://globe.torproject.org/#/relay/55A463CAB24AFB91073C6D6D7CC6CA741A1430E2
>
>  [3] https://www.webtropia.com/en/

uf

I had the same problem with other ISP. Required me to register my own
/24 subnet (256 ip addresses) RIPE allocated if i wanted to continue
running exits in their network. Currently working on this.Choose a
different provider if you wish to continue running exits. need
recommendations?

- --
s7r
PGP Fingerprint: 7C36 9232 5ABD FB0B 3021 03F1 837F A52C 8126 5B11