[tor-relays] German company Webtropia: Terminated contract without notice because of abuse

tor at t-3.net tor at t-3.net
Wed Jul 30 13:01:08 UTC 2014

IMO, even relaying SMTP-like for the email which typically requires
auth first isn't a great idea if there is any concern about an
upstream getting abuse complaints about a relay (such as a leased
box).

A frequent way that spammers get their garbage out these days is to
compromise a user account, I say this as a mail server admin who has
to deal with the mess regularly. Oftentimes they guess the PW via
dictionary attacks, but sometimes they keylog the user's box to get
the email login.

If the spammer has compromised an account and is forced to use webmail
to dump the spam instead of an SMTP-like means, your relay doesn't
show up in the email headers in the same way and may even be
obfuscated. The differences are good things if you want to minimize
abuse complaints of this sort. Also the SMTP-like sending seems to get
more spam out the door faster than something which must use webmail
instead.

 On 07/30/2014 03:08 PM, krishna e bera wrote:
 > On 14-07-30 05:11 AM, tor at t-3.net wrote:
 >>
 >> You somewhat made a mistake here - you've got to have an exit
policy
 >> that (minimally) rejects ports 25 and 465, or else your relay
becomes
 >> giant abuse tool for spammers, scammers, and phishers instead of
what
 >> you intended it to be (which was a standard-functioning Tor
relay).

 >> You might try telling your ISP that you made a mistake in your
 >> configuration which allowed spam email to go out, and you're
willing
 >> correct that error and move forward.
 >>

 >> ExitPolicy reject *:25
 >> ExitPolicy reject *:465
 >
 > Most SMTP servers i have seen listening on port 465 and 587 require
 > authentication, so it shouldnt be necessary to block those ports.
Can