[tor-relays] [tor-dev] Hidden service policies

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Mon Jul 21 14:34:39 UTC 2014

Seemed a little targeted at me and I am the one agreeing with you xD

Anyway yes this is what I stated originally before the pro-censorship
people come out of their caves. Once the tools are developed to
censor, it is very easy to start blocking arbitrarily. Imagine the day
our ISP's say "now block x and y hidden services because we don't like
them or we'll close your account". I can see the reasons some people
block ports, which comes back to my "greater good" argument that
keeping their relays online albeit have some ports blocked is better
than no relay, because users in that situation can route around it if
required.

So I think we're agreed. No tool for censoring, not even a step near
that direction because it rapidly goes downhill from there. Again I
reiterate, the fact that Mike Hearn has come to Tor Project (with his
own relay only allowing bitcoin traffic is particularly peeving me
off) and tried to tell us to develop tools of censorship, has
particularly annoyed me. So to address this,  I'll be sending a copy
of his proposal to some friends of mine on the bitcoin scene.

Furthermore, I'm going to see what the authority directories think
about his relay because that is just playing silly bugger only
allowing bitcoin related traffic.

- -T