[tor-relays] [tor-dev] Hidden service policies

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Mon Jul 21 13:21:08 UTC 2014

> Sorry, wrong answer.  If you block connections from other relays,
> you break the tor network.  I don't recall offhand whether that
> sort of breakage might earn your relay either an Invalid flag or
> being simply dropped from the consensus.

For a single relay to my knowledge, it shouldn't do. There are many
reasons some relays can't connect to each other so it doesn't "break"
Tor as an alternative route is simply found.

> Are you suggesting that the mobbing attacks on HSDIR relays are the
> actions of botnets?  If so, then you are suggesting that the
> problem of mobbing of HSDIR relays is probably insoluble because it
> would not be the symptom of a bug in tor. :-(

The question is botnet CnC's, the proposal has nothing to do with
solving the botnet CnC problem and I am also stating Tor is not the
one who needs to tackle them right at this moment, the budget and
resources are just not there. However creating a system where
operators start blacklisting hidden services is extremely bad for
anonymity both for the hidden service and the user.

To answer the rest of your question, I am not a developer. I am
somebody who cares about anonymity and that is why I run the 2nd
largest server cluster on the Tor network from my own pocket.
Filtering or proposing to blacklist anything is not acceptable in my
view. Whatever solutions individuals care to launch to protect their
relay is their own responsibility, but actively developing something
by the core developers to blacklist hidden service is a completely
despicable idea. To elaborate only on the legal side of things, if I
can easily block hidden services passing through my relays or if I am
the RV point for one the government can then serve me a notice
ordering me to block it, this I have already run through my solicitor
and there no escaping that fact unfortunately.

Also note, botnets in this sense are not the topic. The proposal is an
easy mechanism to censor hidden services and let it not be portrayed
as anything other than that. I can see why 90% of people opposed his
"coin taint" idea and 75% wanted him to leave the bitcoin foundation.
If Tor did introduce such measures, I would be swiftly leaving Tor's
ranks and withdrawing all support (both all 25 relays/exits/guards,
and financial) from it.

So to state clearly:

Should Tor Project develop a system to filter hidden services?

I'll let people decide that for themselves. But my opinion, is that
doing so defies the point of a hidden service and people who push for
it should be ashamed of themselves.

- -T

* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *or*   bennett at freeshell.org   *