[tor-relays] [tor-dev] Hidden service policies

Thomas White thomaswhite at riseup.net
Mon Jul 21 01:57:00 UTC 2014

Mike Hearn,

Simple. If you start filtering anything at all, regardless of what it
is (yes, even if you filter child porn or fraud sites) then I will
block any connection of your relays to mine (which are exits and
guards totally 4Gbps). There are uses for preventing some connections
like if you are legally required to then I guess the tradeoff of some
inconvenience for a handful of relays, but still providing high-speed
access to Tor for most people and sites is worth it. When you begin to
do it as a proactive censorship event is when I will be firmly against
you.

The moment people censor things because it is illegal, immoral or
"terrorist" is the moment that person accepts responsibility for the
traffic that passes through their nodes and is an active attempt by
them to filter what people can access. Freedom isn't free unless it is
totally free and a selective reading policy through Tor is not just a
bad idea as stated below, I find it outright insulting to me and
everyone else who cares about the free and open internet. The fact
somebody has the audacity to come to a project like Tor and propose
blacklisting mechanisms is jaw-dropping.

In addition, botnets using Tor actually improve the security of the
network. Generally the more traffic there is, the harder it is to
conduct statistical attacks against the users. Now of course it is not
the most politic thing to say or the most popular, but it's the truth.
We don't need to stop x y or z using Tor, we need to get more people
using Tor regardless of their purpose. Botnets are the result of
design/security flaws and not something within the scope of Tor
Project to address.

You did mention the development of a workaround to avoid people who do
block whatever resource they are trying to access, but what is the
point? Once it is easy to start blocking hidden services like that,
it's only a very small step to blacklists floating around, then like
Spamhaus that list maintainer acts like a mafia to coerce other
operators into using it. Even in the wording of what you admitted
yourself, additional complexity, Tor should be spending time improving
it's systems and fixing bugs rather than making censorship easier for
the masses. This is one of the concerns I voiced in the Paris Tor
developer meeting only a few weeks ago too.

As I recall, you are also the person who raised the idea of coin
tinting or a similar concept in the bitcoin community to identify
"suspect" coins and that backfired spectacularly on you. Don't try to
bring such ideas to Tor because they are not the same and I doubt you
would try to propose blacklisting bitcoin addresses on the bitcoin
network? Then again, after reading that message, I honestly don't know
so while you are reading this, let me know if you run any relays so I
can avoid them. I could go on for a lot longer, but I'll leave it at
this for now or I will not be getting to sleep tonight. Just know I'd
rather go to prison than act as an assistant of censorship.

- -T