[tor-relays] Speed of my relay not correct on global list

no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie.eu no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie.eu
Sat Jul 19 12:59:43 UTC 2014

Hello Sylvain!

I can only tell that I deal with a similar question.

But at 1st: Please upgrade to an actual Linux or BSD, in your own
interest. WinXP is out of date since 4/2014, and the IP of your
computer with an outdated OS is published on multiple lists of
anonymizing relays. There can't be a better invitation to crackers.
Coming from Windows, a user-friendly Linux like Mint or Ubuntu might
be a good choice for you (or does anyone here know a /userfriendly/
BSD ? :-) ). The whole OS including the Firewall is pre-configured,
there is not much work left.

The bandwith: I also run a small internal relay, Ueberwachungsstaat (=
surveillance society) in Austria. I found 4 to 5 different numbers for
the average bandwidth:

- -----

_Empire64_

I Tor Network Map, Vidalia

Empire64 (Online)
Location: Canada
IP Address: 70.81.135.152
Bandwidth: 9.00 KB/s
Uptime: 11 hours 38 mins 53 secs
Last Updated: 2014-07-19 02:27:25 GMT

II Message Log, Vidalia

- --> on your relay

III Atlas (1)

81.9 kBps

IV Onioo (2)

80.0 kBps (advertised)

V Blutmagie (3)

3.3 kBps

_Ueberwachungsstaat_

I Tor Network Map, Vidalia

Ueberwachungsstaat (Online)
Location: Austria
IP Address: 194.96.5.19
Bandwidth: 12.00 KB/s
Uptime: 20 hours 59 mins 23 secs
Last Updated: 2014-07-18 17:07:34 GMT

II Message Log, Vidalia

Jul 19 09:04:34.476 [Notice] Heartbeat: Tor's uptime is 14:01 hours,
with 2 circuits open. I've sent 657.26 MB and received 790.30 MB.

=> Upload 13.3 kBps, Download 16.0 kBps

III Atlas (4)

92.7 kBps

IV Onioo

92.5 kBps (Advertised)

V Blutmagie (6)

1.3 kBps

- -----

So the kBps from Blutmagie seem to be too low and Atlas and Onioo to
high. Perhaps there the count-logic is different.
The most reliable numbers should be the ones calculated from the
message log, assuming that Tor counts the bits correctly. Also the
number from the Network Map fits well.

What works to my experience, when your relay does not do anything at
all: Turn it off for one or two days and start it again with changed
port numbers. Sometimes my relay forwards only 10 to 20 MB a day, and
in that case I try to fix it the prescribed way. Most times it works,
sometimes not.

I operate it at a simple DSL line of Austrian ISP A1, 8192 kBps D, 768
kBps U. The bandwidth limit is 200 (400) kBps.

Why only 6.7 % of the bandwidth limit are used: I just don't know.

Best regards, and: Stay wiretapped!

Anton

1)
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/E1DFC86060848E0FDCC7B0F072FA9EBAC639DA66
2) https://onionoo.torproject.org/details?search=empire64
3)
https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=e1dfc86060848e0fdcc7b0f072fa9ebac639da66
4)
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/4B46A52249A529324B030970E2B39AAEA7A4A79B
5) https://onionoo.torproject.org/details?search=Ueberwachungsstaat
6)
https://torstatus.blutmagie.de/router_detail.php?FP=4b46a52249a529324b030970e2b39aaea7a4a79b

- --
no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie dot eu
0x30C3CDF0, RSA 2048, 24 Mar 2014
0FF8 A811 8857 1B7E 195B 649E CC26 E1A5 30C3 CDF0
Bitmessage (no metadata): BM-2cXixKZaqzJmTfz6ojiyLzmKg2JbzDnApC