[tor-relays] Oubound Ports

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri Jul 11 13:41:45 UTC 2014

On 07/11/2014 11:33 AM, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> Agreed, but my point was that only a small minority of relays use port 22
> (checked, 27 of them - more than I expected) or port 53 (just three relays),
> so it may be a sacrifice that's worth making, in order to avoid losing the
> ability to run Tor altogether due to being kicked out by your ISP.

I don't see the point in blocking arbitrary outgoing ports for an
application that is not going to make any connections other than relay
connections. The danger of Tor misbehaving on port 22 or port 53 is the
same as on any other port.

> Some time ago I proposed that Tor flags some ports as being unacceptable as
> ORPort[1], but this did not gather much of a momentum.

A port is a number. None of them is special. I really don't see any
reason to discriminate any.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/