[tor-relays] CPU usage

Julien ROBIN julien.robin28 at free.fr
Tue Jul 8 00:02:52 UTC 2014

Hi,

In effect this CPU usage is quite normal : a Tor Relay use a lot of CPU, proportionally with amount of data passing trough the relay.
With an Intel Atom D510 I was above 40 Mbps, while CPU was giving everything.

The problem with Tor is the "single-thread working" for encryption/relaying, so if you have a second CPU core available, may be you can open a second Tor instance in order to use the second core capacity.

In fact, when your Tor daemon reaches 100% of 1 core usage, you can see what is the current bandwith and set it into your torrc file as maximum. When a Tor instance exceeds 100% it's a little bit like a "congestion" into your Tor process, so it's better for 100% value to be a limit per Tor process.
Your relay may average a little bit under the limit bandwidth of your torrc file, but this give better performance for Tor circuits established through your relay so it's not a bad ;)

An interesting webpage here, full of usefull informations that doesn't appear on the official tutorial :
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server

Even if what you've done is more simple, or a little bit different, this tutorial will make you aware of a lot of interesting details and possibilities.

Good luck !
Julien ROBIN