[tor-relays] different torrc and fingerprint when rebooted

Kali Tor kalitor42 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 17:30:49 UTC 2014

Hi all,

When I installed tor for the first on an Ubuntu machine, ran it when logged in as normal user "tor" using the /etc/tor/torrc. However today I had to reboot the node and when it came back ps showed that it was using a different torrc
/usr/sbin/tor --defaults-torrc /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc --hush

IN addition, it seem to be running with a different/new fingerprint!

The content of /usr/share/tor/tor-service-defaults-torrc is:

DataDirectory /var/lib/tor
PidFile /var/run/tor/tor.pid
RunAsDaemon 1
User debian-tor

ControlSocket /var/run/tor/control
ControlSocketsGroupWritable 1

CookieAuthentication 1
CookieAuthFileGroupReadable 1
CookieAuthFile /var/run/tor/control.authcookie

Log notice file /var/log/tor/log

Could it be due to the different "User" that I have a new fingerprint?

How do I make sure that the next time I reboot I use the correct torrc at /etc/tor/torrc and the correct fingerprint?

Thanks,

-kali-