[tor-relays] Obfs + Non-obfs bridges

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Thu Jul 3 19:06:27 UTC 2014

Daniel Thill <dgt at acm.org> writes:

> Can a single tor daemon instance provide both non-obfuscated and
> various other obfuscated transports? Right now, I have one instance
> that provides both obfs3 and scramblesuit.  E.g.,
>
> ServerTransportPlugin obfs3,scramblesuit exec /usr/local/bin/obfsproxy managed
> ServerTransportListenAddr obfs3 MYIP:PORT
> ServerTransportListenAddr scramblesuit MYIP:PORT2
>
> I currently have another tor instance that runs a vanilla bridge
> configuration (no transports) on a different port.  Is this really
> necessary?  I couldn't find any documentation that address this.  Can

It shouldn't be necessary.

Obfuscated bridges are vanilla bridges by default (they expose an
ORPort).

[ As a matter of fact, this is a problem since it means that bridges
are vulnerable to active probing by default. Please see this ticket
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7349 . Unfortunately,
this problem will likely not be fixed in the short-term future. ]