[tor-relays] optimize performance of a relay running on a VM

s7r s7r at sky-ip.org
Tue Jul 1 19:24:51 UTC 2014

On 7/1/2014 10:07 PM, Random Tor Node Operator wrote:
> On 07/01/2014 08:46 PM, s7r wrote:
>> I have multiple relays running on the following systems: -
>> vmware vsphere virtualization technology - 100 mbps port - 1GB
>> dedicated RAM - 2.6 Ghz 1 core CPU dedicated - OS: FreeBSD 10.0
>> Release amd64 or Debian Stable
>
>> - DO NOT KNOW IF I HAVE AES-NI SUPPORT OR HOW TO ACTIVATE IT (?)
>
> $ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep aes

It does not return anything. I have the proc folder, but there is no
cpuinfo file in it. Here:

root at tor:/ # cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep aes
cat: /proc/cpuinfo: No such file or directory

> If it returns a string of instruction sets, your CPU has the
> AES-NI instruction set. If it returns nothing, it doesn't.
>

>> Currently atlas shows 3-4-5 MB/s advertised bandwidth for these
>> relays. Arm shows between 600 and 1200 concurrent circuits
>> (total of inbound, outbound and exit) and average traffic
>> consumption is 5-6 TB per month (total both download and upload).
>> I think this can be improved, but how?
>
> What does the CPU usage of the tor process look like?
 PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME    WCPU COMMAND
  675 _tor          2  20    0   130M   126M sbwait 567:31   7.96% tor
Uses maximum 10-12% of the available CPU.
Uses maximum 150 - 160 MB of RAM. (~15%)

> How long have your relays been running? It takes a while until a
> relay reaches a steady state. [1]
Little over 2 months if I recall correct. Exit, Guard, Stable and Fast.
> Can you tell us the fingerprints of your relays?

here is one I am freebie hired to maintain:
6C36F9ACBA57AC9C10DBC39D330CFA337522E72B