[tor-relays] Problems with domestic ISP blocking publicly listed relays

Jobiwan Kenobi helpme.jobiwan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 23:16:47 UTC 2014

On Jan 28, 2014, at 20:02 , Paul Blakeman wrote:

> The first one has been Tor itself where I have noticed (using Arm to monitor) that it has been downloading far more data than uploading.
> A ratio of say 5:1 — it hasn’t always been this way!

I see that too from time to time.
At the times that download is much higher than upload, do you also see many more inbound connections, more handshakes (in the log) and high CPU usage? I do. Sometimes it goes on for up to 10 hours. (I run a low end box and it sometimes makes me lose Guard, HSDir or even Stable.)

First I thought it was some kind of DoS, but I think it may be caused by people using bittorrent through Tor, and the excess download data is residue of abandoned connections.

> My IP provided by my ISP has been the same all this time (82.42.215.16)
> I have spoken with them I would have to switch off for 48hrs and MAY NOT (in fact I was told “probably not”) be assigned a different one!

It may help to change the MAC address on the WAN port on your router.