[tor-relays] Problems with domestic ISP blocking publicly listed relays

Mike Perry mikeperry at torproject.org
Tue Jan 28 23:06:45 UTC 2014

mick:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:02:32 +0000
> Paul Blakeman <blakeyman at mac.com> allegedly wrote:
>

> > SO…
> > Can using a Tor relay result in your IP getting a “bad” flag?
>
> Yes. Running a Tor node on an IP address you share with your domestic
> usage can result in you being unable to reach sites which blacklist Tor
> nodes. This sometimes only happens with exit nodes, but some site
> operators are even more draconian than others and just block all Tor
> IPs. This can be particularly unfortunate if the site in question is
> your bank.

This is correct, *if* you are running a Tor relay (even a non-exit). And
unfortunate.

> > Is there anyway of running a relay where you “hide” your IP?
>
> No. Tor relay IP addresses have to be visible to be reachable.

This is not fully correct. You can run your Tor relay as a Tor Bridge,
in which case its IP is not visible in the public node directory. We
only hand it out to people who solve a captcha on
https://bridges.torproject.org/bridges

We're also looking for people to run Obfsproxy bridges, which are also
unlisted but additionally obscure their traffic so the traffic does not
look like a Tor. As far as I know, we don't provide packages for this
yet, but if you are technically inclined, you can set one up manually on
Linux by following these instructions:
https://www.torproject.org/projects/obfsproxy-instructions.html.en#instructions

--
Mike Perry