[tor-relays] Problems with domestic ISP blocking publicly listed relays

Paul Blakeman blakeyman at mac.com
Tue Jan 28 19:02:32 UTC 2014

Hi all

Wondered if anybody could help out/advise as to what’s happened here…

I’m based in UK and have domestic internet with Virgin Media.
This service is fibre optic based - config: 30Mbps d/l & 2Mbps u/l [mine is the SLOWEST package!]

Last year I finally configured a Dell server (running Debian 7.3 - wheezy) to run a Tor relay (0.2.3.25)
Everything has been running fine except for the last few weeks I’ve noticed a few irregularities.

The first one has been Tor itself where I have noticed (using Arm to monitor) that it has been downloading far more data than uploading.
A ratio of say 5:1 — it hasn’t always been this way!

The other is my general difficulty in accessing certain web sites online (that once worked)
e.g.
Access to lovefim.com this weekend has now resulted in no longer able to stream and watch films.
I can log onto system but if I try and stream I get the error message “INVALID LOCATION.  Sorry, but the requested content is not available in your current location.”
Opened a service desk ticket but the response was “you are trying to stream from outside the UK”
WTF?????

My IP provided by my ISP has been the same all this time (82.42.215.16)
I have spoken with them I would have to switch off for 48hrs and MAY NOT (in fact I was told “probably not”) be assigned a different one!

SO…
Can using a Tor relay result in your IP getting a “bad” flag?
Is there anyway of running a relay where you “hide” your IP?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Paul