[tor-relays] Scoreboard enhancements / Trying Trusted Tor Traceroutes

Sebastian Urbach sebastian at urbach.org
Sun Jan 26 15:04:01 UTC 2014

Hi Renke,

Do you care to elaborate  ? If you need assistance we can talk via private
mail as well ...

Bandwidth consumption is very low as you possible read on the project site.
Do you run the test with scamper and or did you turn down the scanning speed ?

The question remains why did many relay ops canceled the test before
completion. As the scoreboard shows most of them would have completed the
test in the estimated lowest time frame (around 4 days). The estimated max.
time is about 24 days not 96 if you choose to run with traceroute and the
default values instead of scamper.

My best guess is that even 4 days was too long.  After the test was started
they wondered how long it would take and checked back with the faq, then
decided to quit. Call it a hunch ;-)

My system, as an example, took about 2 days and 23 hours to complete the
run. I use scamper with the default settings. You can also turn up the pps
value and finish even faster.

How long will this take?:

http://web.engr.illinois.edu/~das17/tor-traceroute_v1.html#q-howlong

How much bandwidth, disk space, RAM, and CPU will this consume?:

http://web.engr.illinois.edu/~das17/tor-traceroute_v1.html#q-howmanyresources

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Sincerely yours

Sebastian Urbach

Those who would give up essential Liberty,
to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve
neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),  Inventor,
journalist, printer, diplomat, and statesman

> I am wondering why only 68 out of 283 completed the traceroute. Can someone
> explain please?
> probably because the estimated time is between 4 and 96 days:
https://web.engr.illinois.edu/~das17/tor-traceroute_v1.html#q-howlong
my (low-bandwith) relay is trace-routing since 4 days and completed a
mere 15 % of all checks :)

Renke