[tor-relays] How effective is "NumCPUs"?

Sebastian Urbach sebastian at urbach.org
Fri Jan 24 10:06:22 UTC 2014

Hi Alexander

A Tor daemon running with numCPU2s is better than a single daermon on each
core because there is less "overhead".

You can also get a great boost by enabling AES-NI hardware encryption if
you don't have it already ...

This is the best docu available afaik:

https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#aes-ni_crypto_acceleration

--
Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Sincerely yours

Sebastian Urbach

Those who would give up essential Liberty,
to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve
neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790),  Inventor,
journalist, printer, diplomat, and statesman

Hello,

a relay I'm running is currently at about 0.80 load average. It has a
dual-core CPU and I have configured "NumCPUs 2". I'm still in the process
of finding the bandwidth limit.

Should I keep increasing "RelayBandwidthRate" on the single Tor process, or
is it a better idea to start a second process?

(Also, does a second process need its own identity, or can it use the
existing one?)

Best regards,
Alexander
--