[tor-relays] Considering setting up an exit, need advice

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Fri Jan 24 06:43:25 UTC 2014

On 01/23/2014 07:29 PM, Jesse Victors wrote:
> I'm thinking about setting up an exit here at my university here in the
> US.

Cool!

> I'll be doing some research as to what
> ports I can open to contribute yet avoid being flooded by complaints,
> but if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

It will already be very helpful if you just pick a small subset from the
Reduced Exit Policy.
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReducedExitPolicy

> Would it be a good idea to
> copy the exit policy of the node at MIT? Is there a way to configure the
> Linux firewall so that only Tor has Internet access, in order to help
> show that I wasn't behind anything that comes out of the exit?

I don't think that that will help much or is worth the effort. You could
have done Bad Stuff, then (re)configured the firewall.

> I'm
> basically just looking to get started here if this is feasible, and
> looking for advice.

I hope you have seen both
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines as
well as
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorGuideUniversities .

In short, look up the abuse contact of your (future) exit relay, and
make new friends there. And find a professor that supports you.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/