[tor-relays] bandwidth authority algorithm is cracked

julien.robin28 at free.fr julien.robin28 at free.fr
Tue Jan 21 14:01:48 UTC 2014

Hi Karsten, and thank you very much for your answer.

Few days ago I have re-started my 2 tor daemons (same identity, ArachnideFR94 and ArachnideFR94v2) on same the server on which I had these huge falling down/rising up/fall down again consensus weight problems. They started back from nearly 0 and there are currently gaining bandwith/consensus weight. I will try to analyse more precisely what will happen on the following days and weeks and keep you informed. I hope the problem will be back so I will try to understand the cause of this problem, watching everything you described to me.

I think everybody agree to say that the title of the mail has great chances to be wrong (at least, it's faaaar far far too soon to make such an affirmation !) but I anwsered to this subject since I encountered exactly the same problem described by starlight, and this problem have completely destroyed the bandwith/consensus weight of a 20MB/s server - and avoided new ones to gain more than 1 or 2 MB/s bandwith on the same machine. Everything I have seen on Tor Atlas during the problem is a consensus weight shaking like an earthquake during an entire month (december, 2013), and the real bandwith of the server followed the consensus weight with few hours late, so today I cannot explain what happened.

I will watch carefully what will happen now, and keep you informed of what I can understand if the problem is still existing (I hope so, nothing have changed into the server apart from few upgrades with apt-get). Maybe I will use a new Topic description for my next emails about this.

Best regards !
Julien ROBIN