[tor-relays] System Time

nano nanotek at bsdbox.co
Sat Jan 18 02:24:55 UTC 2014

On 18/01/2014 12:30 PM, eliaz wrote:
> On 1/15/2014 8:19 AM, nano wrote:
>> On 15/01/2014 10:29 PM, Sebastian Urbach wrote:
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>

> I've been thinking for a while that a separate list for *bridge*
> operators might be a good idea. I've put effort (and cash) into running
> a bridge approaching 24/7, at which I was successful with TBB ver 2, but
> have been frustrated since the advent of browser 3.5 and standalone
> vidalia. Running the bridge blindly - just loading 3.5 and not trying to
> assess whether the bridge is working properly,  or indeed if it's
> necessary, hasn't been satisfying. I want to know why/how certain things
> wok or don't work. I've been conflicted in this; either I run my own
> experiments, resulting in the bridge being up erratically; or I ask what
> I can well believe experienced node operators & developers might
> consider dunderheaded questions. And since bridges are supposed to be
> secret,  I'm not even sure what should or should not beasked  in a clear
> list. I've tried asking tor support via encrypted msgs with mixed
> results: I can understand that support has more important things to do
> than reassure me that I'm on the right track.
> 	If other bridge operators also feel underserved and experienced users
> feel beleaguered by us, maybe opening a list for bridge operators (or an
> encrypted support address) might be a good experiment. Even if   a
> dedicated list is populated only amateurs it might help us keep running
> more consistently & intelligently.
> 	Yup, my bridge is down for now. Understanding what I'm doing has taken
> too much time away from other work. I hope to have the bridge up again
> as soon as I have enough time to work things out on my own or frame
> intelligent questions. - eliaz
> ---- gpg 04DEF82B

I don't see any reason why bridge related topics shouldn't be posted to
[tor-relays]; they are, after all, a relay. If you're running obfuscated
or private bridges you can redact identifiable information and post
pseudonymously. I have found the Tor community to be much less abrasive
and hostile to those less technically aware than other FOSS communities
but I can understand your reluctance to post. It's interesting: the
often observed 'proprietary' attitudes in open source users, where the
inverse is often the case in proprietary users. This is only my opinion
and not representative of the Tor Network/Project or any other mailing
list correspondents.

I'd like to help you with your bridge problems; however, I don't run
relays in graphical environments and don't use Vidalia. Have you
considered launching a Tor cloud instance to run a bridge [*]? It is
free (for 12 months on Amazon), simple to setup, and requires very
little (if any) maintenance. If you decide you would like to run a
bridge on Amazon and have any difficulties, I would be happy to help.
You can email me off list if you prefer.

[*] https://cloud.torproject.org/

--
syn.bsdbox.co