[tor-relays] Bad experience with hetzner.de and "Trusted Tor Traceroutes" experiment

Paul Görgen tor at pgoergen.de
Wed Jan 15 22:23:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

Apparently even with the lowered rate from time to time the abuse system
will complain.

I just received an abuse message from Hetzner even though now running
with the reduced rate. Just so you know. Next time this happens I will
try to escalate the problem by not solving it in the framework of the
automated abuse reports. Instead I will put the info about what I do
into the trouble ticket of the abuse message and put a strong plea to
contact me about if and how they can stop flagging it as abuse.

Best regards

Paul

On 15.01.2014 16:41, irregulator at riseup.net wrote:
> On 01/15/2014 07:00 AM, Anupam Das wrote:
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> We are very sorry to hear about the problems our measurements caused. Up
>> until yesterday, we had received no reports of them triggering these
>> kinds of responses from providers. However, yesterday we heard a very
>> similar story from another relay operator using Hetzner.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing your experience with the tor-relays community. We
>> have also updated our FAQ to inform contributors about this potential
>> problem.
>>
>> Also, we'd like to help others avoid this while still providing useful
>> measurements, if possible. Have you gotten any feedback from Hetzner
>> about what rule was triggered and maybe how to avoid it? Do you have any
>> ideas about how one might stay below their radar? If it is something
>> simple like reducing the measurement rate that would be a great option
>> to prevent problems while still providing valuable data about the the
>> Tor network.
>>
>> We do still hope that most relay operators will be willing to give this
>> project a shot. We have received data from over 90 separate IP addresses
>> and have gotten 2 negative reports so far, although certainly the issues
>> could be more widespread without us being aware. We don't want to add to
>> the headaches that can result from running a Tor relay, but on the other
>> hand Tor relay operators are probably pretty adept at handling this kind
>> of stuff.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Anupam
>>

> Hi again,
>
> Anupam I wish I knew how to run the script and avoid any complaints from
> Hetzner. Unfortunately Hetzner didn't give us any helpful info. We even
> asked them explicitly if rate limiting would be a solution, but there
> was no answer on that.
>
> On 01/15/2014 02:20 PM, Paul Görgen wrote:
>> Finally scamper was defunct, presumably due to being stopped  two times,
>> so I restarted the whole Trusted Tor Traceroutes script on monday with
>> PPS=200 (reducing the traceroute rate to 1/5 of the default value). So
>> far I did not receive any machine generated abuse reports. I assume the
>> packet rate is now below the limit of what the monitoring thinks is a
>> netscan. I will report back if I should receive another abuse report
>> connected to the experiment.
>
> Paul's answer may indicate that imposing a rate limit to the script's
> requests might do the trick.
>
> Greetings.
> Alex

Paul Görgen
Dieburger Straße 94a,            Mobile +4917620181608
64287 Darmstadt                 http://www.pgoergen.de