[tor-relays] System Time

Moritz Klammler moritz at klammler.eu
Tue Jan 14 21:06:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

if the time difference is too big, NTP will refuse to touch the clock
altogether.  You can force an update by the '-g' option.  However,
the adjustment might still be slow.  I'd do the following (as root):

    # hwclock --set --utc --date="2014-01-14 22:05:35"
    # ntpd -qg

The first command manually sets the hardware clock to the approximate
correct time (which you should adjust, of course).  Note that the date
string must specify the time in your local timezone, despite the '--utc'
option.

The second command tells NTP to do a one-shot sync ('-q') and allow an
initial big adjustment ('-g').

Then, for the future, just make sure you have the NTP daemon enabled to
keep the clock in sync.  On Debian, if you have installed the 'ntp'
package, this should be fine.

Happy Hacking

Moritz

--
Public Key:   http://openpgp.klammler.eu
Fingerprint:  80C1 EC79 B554 3D84 0A35 A728 7057 B288 CE61 2235