[tor-relays] (no subject)

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Tue Jan 14 20:28:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-14 21:05, I wrote:
> Jeroen,
>
> Thank you. It did that but I can't see a change.

NTP adjusts slowly, as your clock is 6+ hours off, you should force the
timesync first, eg with with rdate (apt-get install rdate):

rdate -v ntp.xs4all.nl

should do the trick. Then after that make sure that ntpd is running:
/etc/init.d/ntp restart

> The VPS person said it is set to UTC. Previously on another VPS it
> was another relay in the ?circuit which had the time difference.

UTC is a timezone, and having that is great as it avoids all the
pitfalls and annoyances with summer/winter time.

Note that some VPSs do not allow changing of the time, one will have to
ask the host to set the time.

Do note that a VPS can be inspected and controlled easily by the Host,
as such, make sure that you trust that operator.

Greets,
 Jeroen