[tor-relays] Throughput changes?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Mon Jan 13 18:30:05 UTC 2014

On 01/13/2014 04:37 PM, Thomas Themel wrote:
> I've been running two nodes on the same machine for some time because I was
> unable to get enough throughput to blow through my bandwidth budget otherwise.
> However, something seems to have changed recently, since right now I'm blasting
> through about double my usual bandwidth (~25 MB/s) with the two tor jobs at
> only ~60% CPU usage each while previously it was always CPU limited. This
> doesn't seem to correlate with any software updates on the machine.

First of all, if you don't limit your relay bandwidth and hit CPU
limits, this will have a negative impact for Tor users. So you should
always make sure that CPU (single core!) usage stays well below 100%. An
indicator of a CPU-bound problem are log entries like

"Failed to hand off onionskin. Closing. Your computer is too slow to
handle this many circuit creation requests!"

Judging from Atlas, your relay might have just gotten the Stable flag.
For details, see https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/