[tor-relays] Fwd: How to force VPS to update to current release?

Zack Weinberg zackw at cmu.edu
Wed Jan 8 03:05:39 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM, I <beatthebastards at inbox.com> wrote:
> Err http://deb.torproject.org experimental-precise/main i386 Packages
>   404  Not Found [IP: 86.59.30.40 80]
> Ign http://deb.torproject.org precise/main Translation-en_US
> Ign http://deb.torproject.org precise/main Translation-en
> Ign http://deb.torproject.org experimental-precise/main Translation-en_US
> Ign http://deb.torproject.org experimental-precise/main Translation-en
> W: Failed to fetch http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/dists/experimental-precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found [IP: 86.59.30.40 80]

It appears that the experimental-* distributions are no longer
available.  I think this is probably an intentional change associated
with Tor 0.2.4.x having been promoted to stable release, and I think
you want to replace *all* your existing 'deb ...' lines in
/etc/apt/sources.list that mention torproject.org with one of these
two:

# Tor 0.2.4 official builds
deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org precise main

# Tor 0.2.5 experimental builds
deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org
tor-experimental-0.2.5.x-precise main

You should need only one or the other, not both.  And of course you
need Ubuntu's source in there too.

(To be clear, this is *not* an issue with your VPS, this is a change
to the package server you are using. If this was an intentional
change, it sure woulda been nice if it had been announced here, hint
hint.)

zw