[tor-relays] How to force VPS to update to current release?

Konrad Neitzel konrad at neitzel.de
Sun Jan 5 11:04:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am also quite new to Tor but I want to point out a few things that you
might want to think about:

a) When you run a server, then you should be aware that there are a lot
of evil people out there who scan the servers to attack them. So it is
really important to have some basic knowledge so that you can keep your
server secure.

b) There are great communities for other topics e.g. the operating
system you are using on your server. These communities are often the
best place to solve problems with the core system. And the installation
/ update mechanism is a core part of a linux distribution. (But I do not
mean "Go away and ask there!" - My core interest is to give you a small
feeling about where stuff belongs. torproject.org should not provide an
overview about the different update mechanisms. It should gives clear
and short description on how to install it but not details about the
system behind. If someone is interested in that, the documentation of
his system is much better e.g. the debian handbook.

c) And you already found this community. Here are a lot of people who
really take care of everyone who is interested in running a relay. So if
the help you got so far didn't help you to solve your issues: Just give
us more details and we will try to help you further. What I saw so far,
every newbie is really welcome and people try to help where ever they
can. Just proceed and just focus on solving your technical issue right
now.

Last but not least: It is great that you are interested in running a
node and that you even care about the whole project! It is good to point
out if documentation might need work! That is important in my eyes. I
think it could be helpful if you write a summary about your problem, how
you was able to solve it and maybe some documentation which could
contain more details. That way the people who maintain the documentation
have a good starting point which they could use to maybe discuss if this
is required, where it belongs, and so on ... (That would be my approach
when I find some documentation where would expect more information.)

With kind regards,

Konrad