[tor-relays] Effects of Rebooting?

Tor Relay Tor at MicroCephalic-Endeavors.com
Fri Feb 28 20:05:44 UTC 2014

I am a n00b relay (OnionTorte) operator, and, as such, know lamentably
little of what I'm doing.  (Yes, I'm one of *those* relay operators.)
When I went to bed last night I had an HSDir flag, but it has since
disappeared.  And since this A.M. my consensus was halved.  A bit of
promiscuous pokings-about in relay metrics leads me to think that this
happened in the wake of my having had to reboot my machine to unwedge
it.  Speed Test shows that even on the worst of BadHair Days my u/l
speed doesn't sink below 15Mb/s (1900KB/s), and almost always cruises at
 >25Mb/s, so I don't think that it's so much a bandwidth issue as one of
perceived reliability.  :(

I read
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

but wasn't able to take away as much as I would have liked.  If somebody
can explain to me, using small words and interpretive dance as befits a
callow contributor, what happened I should certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dirt kicked to the curb goes into the gutter.
Professionals kicked to the curb go into retail.