[tor-relays] (no subject)

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Feb 24 23:28:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 10:15:11AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I'm on Debian and did a service tor reload (not restart) and tor
> crashed! I didn't realise immediately, took may be a minute to realise
> and restart. Anyway apologies to any connections that were going
> through this relay.
>
> Should I report a bug to Debian?

First check your logs -- it's likely that it's not a crash, but rather
Tor read the new torrc file and either couldn't parse it or refused to
switch to the new parameters.

> Also, this morning, my relay is back up, but no longer with HSDir
> flag. Is this due to setting that option in the torrc file? And if so,
> I guess it is recommended to disable that option?

To disable which option? You should leave HidServDirectoryV2 alone in
general, and let the Tor directory authorities decide whether you're
stable enough to be used.

--Roger