[tor-relays] [WARN] Your system clock just jumped 100 seconds forward; assuming established circuits no longer work.

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Feb 18 23:59:49 UTC 2014

On 2/19/14, Alexander Makarov <ice.turbulent at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18.02.2014 23:39, Zenaan Harkness wrote:

>>> Maybe problem with hardware clocks?
>>
>> OK, I just checked that the time is very close to correct local time
>> (within a couple seconds as best I can tell), and ran
>> hwclock --systohc
>>
>> But, surely the log warning would only happen once? - that's the whole
>> point of running ntp I thought...
>>
>> See how my node goes over the next day or two,

Well, the time jump still happens, roughly 5hrs apart, 2-3 minute jump.

> Could you show the log?

Current and previous tor logs attached. What is also interesting is IP
address seems to change rather frequently from the ISP (iiNet in this
case - a home ADSL2 connection, but off-net, so it's a resell of
Telstra).

I also note an early morning torrc file read (log.1) - there are no
changes in the torrc file since the 17th, so except that I run service
tor reload, I do not expect tor to re-read the torrc file; is this
normal?:
Feb 19 07:35:19.000 [notice] Read configuration file "/etc/tor/torrc".

> Can you rebuild you kernel with debug option and
> check what kernel events have the same timestamps

I could install a debug kernel - Debian makes them available. How
would I "check kernel events" - just check the logs?

Happy to investigate... might need some hand holding on the process.

Thanks
Zenaan