[tor-relays] New obfsproxy transport: scramblesuit [bridge operators: please upgrade!]

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Feb 12 15:20:43 UTC 2014

George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> a few days ago we integrated ScrambleSuit to obfsproxy. ScrambleSuit
> is a pluggable transport by Philipp Winter; you can find more about it
> at: http://www.cs.kau.se/philwint/scramblesuit/
>
> If you are running a bridge, please consider upgrading your obfsproxy
> to the latest version (0.2.6) by using pip or fetching the latest git
> master.  Unfortunately, we don't have Linux packages yet, but we will
> hopefully have some soon. In the meanwhile, we would appreciate some
> testing :)
>
> After you upgrade obfsproxy, please change your ServerTransportPlugin
> line from:
>      ServerTransportPlugin obfs2,obfs3 exec /usr/bin/obfsproxy managed
> to:
>      ServerTransportPlugin obfs3,scramblesuit exec /usr/bin/obfsproxy managed
>
> This will disable obfs2 [0] and enable scramblesuit.
>
> It's also important to know that scramblesuit is a password-based
> pluggable transport, which means that each scramblesuit bridge has a
> password and if the user doesn't know the password he/she can't
> connect to the bridge. If you publishing your bridge to BridgeDB, Tor
> will automatically send the ScrambleSuit password to BridgeDB so that
> clients can get it. By default ScrambleSuit will generate a random
> password; if you want to specify your own password, you can use a
> torrc line like this:
>       ServerTransportOptions scramblesuit password=LLDNOWV7I4P6RKFJMDEMIY2GNU2IQISA
>
> By the way, expect not to see any scramblesuit users in the
> beginning. After a few people have set up scramblesuit bridges, we
> will roll out a Tor Browser Bundle with scramblesuit enabled.
>
> Feel free to ask any questions you have!
>
> Thanks!

Hello people,

I forgot to mention that if you upgraded obfsproxy to support
scramblesuit, you should also upgrade Tor to use a version fresher
than 0.2.5.1. Otherwise scramblesuit will not function properly (even
though it might seem like it does [0]).

I think currently the only way to get tor-0.2.5.1 is to use the git
master. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

[0]: https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2014-February/006213.html