[tor-relays] Relay bandwidth

Tora Tora Tora tor at allthatnet.com
Sat Feb 8 14:28:00 UTC 2014

I have configured Tor with the following (with daily accounting):

RelayBandwidthRate 384 KB
RelayBandwidthBurst 512 KB

I always assumed that the burst bandwidth will set the maximum relay
bandwidth. However, by using iftop, I can see individual connections
with speeds as high as 2+ Mbps. Even when individual connections are not
exceeding burst speeds, adding up bandwidth of all connections would
probably exceed allowed relay burst bandwidth.

Is this because Tor is using up the bandwidth allowance, since it is
well below its long-time average or is this something unexpected that
should not be happening?