[tor-relays] securing a VPS [High speed exit]

Dan Rogers dan at holdingitwrong.com
Thu Feb 6 13:06:00 UTC 2014

Hi Craig,

Fail2Ban, key only login, firewall, and timely updates will probably
cover 99% of your risks (although I'd also suggest disabling / removing
any unused services), however if you want to go further this is an
excellent guide to linux security;
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24722 .

Cheers,

Dan

On 2014-02-06 07:04, Craig C-S wrote:

> Thanks all for the advice!
>
> Things to do:
> - I'll be looking to run Moxie Marlinspike's knockknock daemon soon as that seems like a superior solution to port knocking and rate limiting. (big fan of his work on TextSecure and RedPhone!)
> - Run OpenSSH as a hiddenservice. This seems obvious now but had not occurred to me.
> - Look into Fail2Ban and DenyHosts and implement them.
>
> Done and thank you for the reminders!
> - Automated daily updates via emerge
> - Server hardening done with hardened-gentoo
> - Moved to key auth for ssh
>
> Alan:
> I'll keep you and the community updated if soyoustart.com [2] (OVH) has any problem with the exit. Beyond forgetting to ban exits to 25 they have not said anything!
>
> Thanks Alan, David and Robert!
>
> Craig
>
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM, I <beatthebastards at inbox.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, if you know how set the operating system to update automatically to keep it secure.
>>
>> Robert

Dan Rogers
+44 7539 552349
skype: dan.j.rogers
gpg key [3]
linkedin [4] | songkick [5] | twitter [6] | spotify [7] | music [8]

Links:
------
[2] http://soyoustart.com
[3] https://secure.techwang.com/gpg/public_key.txt