[tor-relays] OT: folding at home

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 12:19:22 UTC 2014

Some thoughts on the security of crowdsourced computing:

Installing additional software increases the attack surface of your relay, even more so when the new software access the network. (Not to mention any additional libraries.) There is also the issue of the security of automatic updates to the any executables - Folding at home may have less of an issue with this than BOINC, as there is only one project involved.

If you're willing to accept the additional risk, it seems like a worthy cause.

(There's also a minor additional power cost, which really only impacts your provider and the environment…)