[tor-relays] DDoS attack targeted on my exit node

Jean-Philippe Décarie-Mathieu jp at jpdm.org
Mon Dec 22 18:54:10 UTC 2014

I run a guard node but I've also been targeted by a DDoS last week (five
days ago), lasting a mere 15 minutes. I'm not sure I believe in
coincidences. Especially after what you've mentioned and in regards to:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/22/stay_away_popular_tor_exit_relays_look_raided/

Anyone else noticed weird activity?

*Jean-Philippe Décarie-Mathieu*
514-799-0789 - jp at jpdm.org <mailto:jp at jpdm.org> - PGP: 0x2D61F80F

Le 2014-12-22 12:44, Michael Renner a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> my tor exit node was targeted with two DDoS attacks, one on 2014-12-20
01:00 CET and one on 2014-12-22 18:00 CET [1], both lasting about 5
minutes each.

> This alone wouldn’t be too noteworthy if it weren’t for the fact that
>
> a) there’s a certain state of alarm WRT the Tor networks integrity and
>
> b) these are the only attacks my ISP has on record for the over 2.5
years of operating the Tor Exit node.

> If no other operators have noticed anything out of the ordinary (given
by the silence on the list) this is most likely a fluke (getting rid of
pesky IRC users?), but better be safe than sorry.