[tor-relays] Out of memory message

Logforme m7527 at abc.se
Wed Dec 10 16:57:55 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-10 08:31, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Careful with your conclusion there -- because of memory fragmentation,
> the process can still hold the memory even when Tor has freed the memory.
htop currently shows 3622/3858 Mem used and 1545/3136 Swap used. (if I
remember correctly it's usually less than 1000 Mem and 0 Swap used).
So the attacker (intentional or accidental) actually managed to make Tor
take all free memory on the machine before the MaxMemInQueues function
stepped in. And now I have no way to release that memory short of
restarting tor. If I used the machine for something apart from tor it
would have been a successful attack.
Guess I need to set the MaxMemInQueues parameter to something other than
0, maybe 2GB? What's the "reasonable default" for MaxMemInQueues? Some
percentage of total RAM?