[tor-relays] Guard flag and some irregularities

Rafael Rodriguez rafaelr at icctek.com
Sat Dec 6 21:10:45 UTC 2014

Hi Roger.

My concern is not really bandwidth. I started the relay with 2MB/s. I
can always push some more and I'm gradually moving the bar up to the
highest possible. I'm concerned because the VPS does have limited
resources in terms of CPU and RAM. As long as the relay stays stable I
have no problems sharing some more. I just don't want to crash the VPS
by exhausting its resources and making the relay a tort. That's not
healthy for the network hence my concerns.

Yeah, I'm using arm to measure it and I think I've over-reacted because
irrespective the spikes it is reporting 3.1Mb/s as average.

I have now raised the limit to up to 10MB/s let's see how it handles it.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

On 2014-12-06 15:54, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 06, 2014 at 03:40:41PM -0500, Rafael Rodriguez wrote:
>
>> https://atlas.thecthulhu.com/#details/48ADFCC561402D7EBB1CDE233F206B01D8FA0765 [1] 1- Is it ok for the Guard flag to come and go so often?
>
> Yes, it can oscillate for some relays, if some directory authorities
> think the relay deserves the Guard flag and others don't.
>
> It's not great, and we should probably fix the design sometime, but
> it's also not so bad.
>
>> I do not see anything wrong with my relay and it is pushing up to 12MBs at times.
>
> Are you sure? What tool are you using to measure this? If it's arm, be
> ware that arm by default tells you throughput in bits, and Tor measures
> things by bytes.
>
>> Most of the time, my relay pushes between 3-7MB/s constantly and that's fine. But there are occasions in which I see it spike and send out as much as 12MB/s when I have set a limit of @6MB/s.
>
> Based on the graphs above, you're using maybe .5MB/s each way on
> average. That reinforces my guess about the bits/bytes confusion.
>
>> 2- Is Tor not respecting the limits? If it doesn't respect the limits consistently it might as well overkill my budget which translates into me killing the relay.
>
> See also
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#BandwidthShaping [2]
>
> Thanks for running a relay!
>
> --Roger