[tor-relays] Tor Server - DDOS or High Load

Austin Bentley ab6d9 at mst.edu
Thu Dec 4 18:53:27 UTC 2014

I think you misinterpreted what I was saying or I didn't explain it well
enough. Tor utilizing 100% CPU usage is only normal if you are pushing a
LOT of bits. In this case, you probably have a system misconfiguration
somewhere (nothing to do with Tor's configuration, torrc).

>"Nor, the adresses of the inbound traffic were from different adresses."
Yes, that's expected. You're getting connections from the Tor network.
>"I thought that it was not possible to force traffic through a specific
predefined route in Tor"
It isn't possible. I believe I said so, or implied it. The only way to do
this would be through an attack on the Tor network in general.

>"Is it possible to flood the tor port directly with for example syn
floods?"
Through the Tor network, no, that's impossible. TCP relies on a
3-way-handshake which means that every connection between relays will have
to be complete; therefore, in order to connect to your relay, a complete
connection will have to be made. I hope this makes sense, if not, I can
elaborate a bit more.

However, if someone has a hold of your IP, they can run a portscanner and
then determine your relay port (which is on the internet for all to see.)
Therefore, you can be attacked, but not through the Tor network.

>"If yes; is there an iptables rule which will reduce the amount of
connection kept in the syn state?"
First of all, no. And second, that's not how you deal with a SYN flood. If
that rule was implemented, it would just be easier to take your port
offline.

I highly doubt you are under attack. Almost certainly a misconfiguration of
some sort. Have you tried the recommendations that others have given
relating to your file descriptors?