[tor-relays] Authdir is rejecting routers in this range

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Aug 29 22:07:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 09:51:33PM +0000, Davíð Steinn Geirsson wrote:
> I rented a dedicated server to run a tor relay (100Mbit/s) to
> contribute to the network. On this machine, tor gives messages like
> these on startup:
>
> http status 400 ("Authdir is rejecting routers in this range.")
> response from dirserver '<...>'. Please correct.
>
> The server is hosted with https://fdcservers.net/.
>
> Did I just get unlucky in picking a provider? Is there a way to check
> these things before spending money on setup + monthly fees?

Yeah, 50.7/16 and 204.45/16 were where the Sybil relays came from:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-security-advisory-relay-early-traffic-confirmation-attack

We were rejecting all relays from these subnets for a while. But then I
removed that config from moria1 and asked some of the other directory
authority operators to re-allow them too, since the attacking relays
are long gone. Looks like not enough of them have done so. I'll ask
them again.

Thanks,
--Roger