[tor-relays] oniontip.com

Donncha O'Cearbhaill donncha at donncha.is
Fri Aug 29 11:30:15 UTC 2014

Thanks everyone for all the feedback I've received about OnionTip. It
was originally created in a rush during a hackathon so there is
definitely room for improvement.

Mike Perry, as Mike Cardwell has said, it is currently possible to
select a subset of relays to receive donations by using the filters
(Country, Exit flag, Guard flag) at the the top of the OnionTip page.
I'd like to expand these filters and maybe tweak the defaults to provide
a greater share to exits. Exit bandwidth is more valuable to the
network, and I believe it should be incentivised accordingly.

I completely agree that it's important the service and its payments are
externally auditable. From an implementation point of view, when a user
filters a particular set of relays and clicks the donate button, a new
bitcoin keypair and address is derived and stored in the database along
with the list of relays they've selected. Creating a new address for
each donation is the simplest way of ensuring a users donation goes to
the correct set of relays they select. Forwarding the donation directly
from that one-time-use address to the receiving relay operators also
allows the user to easily and immediately confirm on the blockchain that
their donation was forwarded correctly.

From an external point of view, next week I'll add a page to the site
where anyone can view all previously sent transactions. I'll also
publish the master public key which corresponds to the addresses I'm
generating along with a script to confirm they are being generated
without any tricks.

There's a few other issues in the current implementation which I have
outlined on the Github repo
(https://github.com/DonnchaC/oniontip/issues). I'll send a post to the
list early next week with my proposed solutions and and look for some
feedback before I implement them.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback and of course for donating to
and supporting Tor relay operators.

Donncha