[tor-relays] OnionTip.com distributes Bitcoin donations to all BTC addresses set in ContactInfo

Ed Carter ecarter9 at riseup.net
Thu Aug 21 10:51:03 UTC 2014

> On 14 Aug 2014, at 22:00, Alexander wrote:
>
>>> On 2014-08-14 10:25, Mike Cardwell wrote:
>>>
>>> On the other hand. It costs you nothing to stick a bitcoin
>>> address in a config file to find out.
>>
>> Not being a lawyer, does accepting money for running a Tor relay make it
>> a commercial operation (in some countries) and put you in a different
>> legal position?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Alexander
>
> Also not being a lawyer, if BTC isn't legal tender in your country (if
> such a concept exists), are you really accepting "money"?
>
> Tim

Impossible to know how laws of a given country would apply. In my opinion
Bitcoin is "money" in this context, since I can take those donations
received and use them to pay for my server hosting costs.  My VPS provider
takes Bitcoins, so it's money for me in practical terms.

What I find interesting about Oniontip is that in theory, an activist
could set up a Tor relay, paying for his hosting with bitcoins he mined
anonymously.  He could then post a donation address.  The Tor relay can
then receive donations from benefactors the world over.  The relay
operator can then use the donated bitcoins to continue to pay for his
hosting without revealing his identity.