[tor-relays] reaching out to relay ops that run outdated versions

Nusenu BM-2D8wMEVgGVY76je1WXNPfo8SrpZt5yGHES at bitmessage.ch
Sun Aug 17 10:45:56 UTC 2014

FYI: I just sent out the email bellow to ~160 relay operators - I hope
this results in some actual improvements.

It is a bit disappointing to see even torservers.net, DFRI, icetor,
Frenn vun der Enn, Calyx, Cymru in the recipients list.

The recipient list is based on the following output (limited to relays
faster than 999KB/s):

grep -v 0.2.5.6 Tor_query_EXPORT.csv |grep -v 0.2.4.23|grep -v
0.2.6.0|head -n 344
(csv is from torstatus.blutmagie.de)

> Hello,
>
> you are receiving this email because you are using an outdated tor
> version on your tor relay. (your email address was taken from your
> relay's contact info field)
>
> Tor v0.2.4.23 has been released on 2014-07-28 [1] to address a
> security issue that makes de-anonymization attacks easier [2] -
> please update to Tor v0.2.4.23 or v0.2.5.6.
>
> To find out your current version run the following command on your
> relay: tor --version
>
> If you are using Linux: Package managers can be used to
> automatically update Tor without requiring manual admin
> intervention.
>

> It is recommended to use the official APT/YUM repos from
> torproject.org to get timely updates: APT:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en YUM:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/rpms.html.en
>

> thanks for running a relay and making the tor network safer!
>

> [1]
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-announce/2014-July/000093.html

[2]