[tor-relays] Dynamic IP

Tim t_ebay at icloud.com
Sat Aug 16 21:53:18 UTC 2014

I'm running a relay on a similarly "dynamic" IP.
If the line goes down, I'm reallocated a new one. But otherwise the IP is stable.
If I don't notice the change, I notice the traffic drop, then I update the torrc, and everything works again.

Wouldn't it be great if there was an option for tor to do this automatically?
But this would involve trusting google or similar to correctly report the external IP (and not get MITMed).

I tried running a bridge, but it made almost no use of the available bandwidth.
But if the IP were more dynamic, a bridge would be an excellent choice, as long as I could keep the config synced with the external IP.

This would be the core use case for a tor "use dynamic external IP" option. (And the current "guess my IP" option doesn't work for me, as it's the internet-visible external IP I need, not the relay's internal network IP.)