[tor-relays] New router, new IP address

Rick rerushg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 00:32:16 UTC 2014

So I saw the Craigslist post in tor-talk and checked to find that I'm at
full speed with them. Since I'm an exit relay (residential, US, 15
months) and have been experiencing the CL Dial-Up Retro for a few
months, I was surprised. It turns out that I have a new IP address so
for the moment I'm a shiny new exit.
Two days ago I installed a new router. Nothing special: $45 Linksys but
selected specifically for use with DD-WRT. ROM burn and set-up was done
completely offline. It took maybe a minute to do the router hot swap and
all went well. IP address change never crossed my mind. After all, I was
down for four days back in the winter (ice storm) and hoping for a new
address when we came back up. No luck.
Is this normal? Or at least not unusual? It seems a bit spooky to me. I
thought the address was tied to the cable modem (ISP's equipment) and
they couldn't care less about my LAN. :-\

Thanks
Rick