[tor-relays] MaxAdvertiseBandwith

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Apr 30 20:51:45 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 06:42:27PM +0000, jchase wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a non-exit relay running Tor 0.2.25 on a Pi. Consensus weight 37.
> exit-policy: reject *:* Now I??? back from vacation and my relay has 1600
> incoming conncts and arm warns me that my bandwidth is too small to
> support so many incomers. Would I kindly restrict my reject policy or
> limit my MaxAdvertiseBandwidth. Which I believe is no longer
> supported(?). Can anyone help me cut down on the traffic and the notices?
> J. Chase

First, there is no Tor 0.2.25 version.

But second, assuming you mean some old version, you should upgrade.

Depending on which relay you are (I think you didn't say?), this
might have happened because you got the Guard flag:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/lifecycle-of-a-new-relay

I'm pretty much convinced at this point that trying to run a Tor relay
on tiny hardware like this is not a workable idea. You could be a bridge:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#RelayOrBridge
but I agree that's less fun.

--Roger