[tor-relays] SSH scans from Tor exit

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 02:44:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Nicolas Christin
<nicolasc at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> The level of intelligence of the people that receive these complaints
> is irrelevant.

It is, in fact, entirely relevant. Clueless recipients (and their upstream)
leads directly to improper kneejerk responses, such as "pull the project".
Whereas if people had a clue they'd realize this particular issue
is nothing but background noise and file it in the bin.

> However competent you may be, if you get oodles of
> complaints every single day, for something that you are doing as a favor
> to somebody else, you will throw in the towel.
>
> once again, have been really good to us, what would you pick?

I've been party to large environments (R&E included) where boilerplate
complaints resulted in automated canned responses, or were simply
filed in the archive to be expired later. A few hours of existing
work-study student time to process a days lot, fully supported by
high ups.

It comes down to volume, severity, tools, responsibility and
clue. If you don't have any of the latter four, sure, any amount
of the first will kill you.

Being in a good environment for such things also helps too.
Unfortunately that is probably not the majority of them.