[tor-relays] SSH scans from Tor exit

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 06:34:34 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Michael Wolf <mikewolf at riseup.net> wrote:
> On 4/28/2014 10:04 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> For what it's worth, after complaints from campus IT we also wound up
>> blocking SSH in the CMU Tor exit's policy.

Sounds like IT is conflicted and sans balls... permits relay service,
but well, doesn't. Good that you can run one, but if they're
whacking you for denied stuff, plan on moving soon when they
get real complaints.

> people do sysadmin stuff and whatnot anonymously

Not just for anonymous... the value to real sysadmins daily of a
TCP enabled IP for testing from anywhere in the world is huge.

> I  think if a server is
> so threatened by a port scan that it invokes a human response, that
> server probably shouldn't be online.
> /rant

The servers aren't the one's that shouldn't be online, it's their idiot
operators who think SSH's DEFAULT SCREAMING ABOUT DENIED
HACK ATTEMPTS in the logs is some kind of important, and then go
reporting it to every place they can think of, each of those places staffed
by more clueless idiots, etc. Grow up people, quit whining about ssh
and learn to admin. Meanwhile, Theo laughs heartily at everyone.